Looking for some Great British adventure inspiration? You're in the right place. Here you'll get an independent, ad-free lowdown on Britain's top 50 adventure locations - the online yin to the paper yang of our Joyously Busy Great British Adventure Map.
Why Go To Knoydart?
Knoydart, is a very nice peninsula off the west coast of Scotland, not to be confused with Moidart, another (also very nice) peninsula off the west coast of Scotland. Just some of many things you can do there that you can't do anywhere else...
- Get properly remote on a peninsula everyone in Britain should know about, and that can only be reached by boat or a very long hike
- Have a drink in Britain's remotest pub
- Enjoy going off-grid in a stunning landscape that's a hillwalking and wild camping paradise
Want to find out more? Read on for great photos, articles, videos, top tips and other content to fire up your adventure appetite. Got a question? Ask away.
Tell Me More
A wild peninsula sandwiched between Lochs Nevis and Hourn, Knoydart is the northern part of an area known as the Rough Bounds. Only accessible by boat (there's a ferry from Mallaig), or by a hilly 16-mile hike, its roads aren't connected to those of the rest of the country. The remote, beautiful, mountainous terrain includes the Munros of Ladhar Bheinn (1020 m), Luinne Bheinn (939 m), Meall Buidhe (946 m) and Sgurr na Cìche (1040 m), and boasts Britain's most remote pub. A classic wilderness destination and one of the first names on the top 50 team sheet.
The essential journey on Knoydart is simply getting there - walk in!
The when you're there, go up the largest mountain...
Getting To Knoydart, Maps & Guides
Getting there: CalMac ferry from Mallaig to Inverie (0.5 hr), or hike the 16 miles in from the east, somewhere on the A87.
Travel times from where you are: See Knoydart on Google Maps.
Walking route guidance: WalkingHighlands.
Even More Knoydart Adventure Inspiration
Some good local intel...
- Read about the Knoydart Foundation, the community charity set up to own and manage the Knoydart estate, and see what's occurring on the peninsula
- The Ladhar Bheinn walk - the highest mountain on Knoydart and one of finest mountains in Scotland too
- History! Don't confuse the Seven Men of Knoydart with the seven men of Moidart!
- But here's a more 'actionable' Knoydart 7!
Click here to see 49 other Great British adventure locations and tell us about your adventures, plans and suggestions for these pages.
Britain's Best Outdoorsy Bits... Mapped!
Liking what you see, but fancy keeping it old school with an actual paper map? Our Joyously Busy Great British Adventure Map features all of Britain's best outdoorsy bits (including the Top 50), plus some enjoyably random and vaguely useful stuff too. Available either as a 2-sided fold-out map or a framed wall map (office furniture and fake plants not included).